Emory United Methodist Church
Friday, July 28, 2017

History

The People of God Called Emory
 
 
Situated on a pleasant knoll surrounded by the beautiful fields and woods of Carroll and Baltimore County, the houses of worship on the spot called Emory have always been focal points in the religious, educational, and social life of the community.
 
        Emory United Methodist Church had its earliest spiritual roots in the call of God on the hearts of local families in rural central Maryland like the Noah Walker family, the John Williams family, the William Chenoweth family, the Samuel Nichols Family, the Benjamin Bond Family, the Jacob Bond Family, the Erasmus Fowble Family, the Washington Jones Family, the John Barrick Family, Annie Hollingsworth Family, Kitty Randle and others . While Methodist preachers were active in the area by 1793 when our first one-room log meeting house was built, Emory families let God alone lead them.
 
        In October of 1836, the log meeting house located, “beside a lane running north and eastward to the Baltimore and Hanover turnpike, a mile and a piece hence” was dedicated, “for the sole and exclusive purpose of a school house and place of worship.” The building and surrounding small lot of ground was conveyed by deed to three trustees and their families, “in consideration of the sum of five dollars in current money in hand and other considerations” to be called United Seminary. Later in 1856, an additional plot of ground east of the original loghouse was sold and the entire parcel was re-deeded to seven named trustees, on which was erected a building of fieldstone as a designated house of worship. In compliance with the deed, the edifice was to be used for the worship services of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States of America.
 
        Upon completion of the stone church in September 1856, the log meeting house was used only for a school. Later in 1885, a brick structure replaced the log building and continued to be one of many local schoolhouses until in 1927 when it gave way to the consolidated school in Hampstead. 
 
     The stone church was just one room, three windows on each side and two doors in front, was graced by a steeple and was called Brown’s Meeting House Branch.   The name was later changed to Emory Methodist Church and now Emory United Methodist Church after the memory of a beloved Baltimore Bishop, John Emory, who died in tragically in 1835 at the age of 46 when he was thrown from his horse on Reisterstown Pike and fatally injured.
 
 
     Eventually, after many years, the wood used in the first stone church had deteriorated, the congregation had gown larger in members, so everyone pitched in to tear the old edifice down and build a new one.  The stones from the old church were used in the foundation of the new.  The cornerstone was laid with full Masonic rites and honors on August 4, 1907. 
 
 
     Emory was part of the Hampstead circuit of churches until 1910, when the Baltimore Conference formed a separate group know as Emory Circuit which included Wesley, Pleasant Grove Emory and later Boring Methodist Churches.  In 1959, Wesley Church attained station status and Emory continued as a three point circuit with Pleasant Grove and Boring.  Then In July of 1980, Emory became a single station church served by its own pastor, Rev. Barry E. Hidey.
 
     Since this time, Emory’s church family has changed and grown. In 1989 groundbreaking was held for a new Educational Building and was dedicated in 1990. This building currently houses our ministry offices, meeting space, and is also used for our Christian education programs. 

     In 2006, we made the decision to purchase additional property adjoining our church and in 2007 finalized the purchase of 17 acres with 2 houses and we look for God's guidance and leading in our future endeavors.  Also in October of 2007, we celebrated the 100th anniversary of our sanctuary with a special service of remembrance followed by and "old-fashioned" outdoor luncheon.
 
     Emory has continued to be faithful as Christ's light on the hill to make disciples and advance its Christian missionary work, here in our own country as well as in worldwide locations, bringing God’s message of love, hope, and aid to the poor, suffering and underprivileged.